Featured Post

Labor of Love Open House

A Labor of Love Afterburners Open House Meeting on August 30, 2016, was a grand success!  In fact, we earned a Golden Gavel ribbon f...

Sunday, June 2, 2013

Uncomfortable? Not for long!


Afterburners Toastmasters Club....Where do I begin? I was immediately drawn into an energetic group of individuals where my first impression was formed when a member froze on a table topics appointment. When her condition became apparent to the other members, they quickly rallied and tossed ideas her way in order that she complete the challenge successfully. I wanted to be a part of a group that genuinely wants you to succeed.

But it wasn't until a very recent meeting when I truly valued my membership. I brought my teenage daughter, who has a very long history of stage fright, to a particularly spontaneous and jovial meeting. At the conclusion, when asked her opinion, she stated, of her own free will, that she enjoyed it and would return. While that is a far cry from participation, it speaks volumes to me and my hope of helping her to develop the leadership qualities within her. 

I am learning to embrace being uncomfortable and look forward to growing within this group. Watch out world!

Submitted by Laurie Dulin