Featured Post

Labor of Love Open House

A Labor of Love Afterburners Open House Meeting on August 30, 2016, was a grand success!  In fact, we earned a Golden Gavel ribbon f...

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

People and Passion for Development


What I like about Afterburners can be summed up in the club's motto: "We don't take ourselves seriously but we are serious about speaking." It is the interest in personal development and the people that keeps me coming to Afterburners' meetings. 

In the 11 years that I have been a club member. I have seen  members go from raw rookies to become accomplished speakers and to develop into leaders. Some have even gone on to achieve the coveted Distinguished Toastmasters designation not once but twice.

The club's dedication to the Toastmaster's development path has earned it the President's Distinguished designation numerous times. If you stay in Afterburners you can not help developing your speaking and leadership skills. I know I have.

Afterburners has fun people who are great people to be around. There is diversity in the club in skills, age, and backgrounds. Consequently there always are club speeches containing ideas that are fresh and interesting. And always there is someone that you can learn from.

Afterburners members are there for you. They were there for me seven years ago when I had a personal tragedy. And they were there for me on a recent occasion when I was Toastmaster for the evening. At the last minute, we had several members with meeting roles who could not be there. But that was no problem. Other members there quickly volunteered to take the available opportunities. 

I have been a member of four different Toastmasters clubs and attended the meetings of many more. None can match the experience of being an Afterburner. 

Afterburners - people and a passion for personal development.