Featured Post

Labor of Love Open House

A Labor of Love Afterburners Open House Meeting on August 30, 2016, was a grand success!  In fact, we earned a Golden Gavel ribbon f...

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Why Am I a Toastmaster? The Answer Is in a Story

Phillip Silas
That is a simple enough question, but I have so many answers. However, I will narrow it down to one answer with a story.

One summer growing up, I was sick with some kind of summer flu that kept me bedridden, close to the house and away from regular summer fun. My friends and I were all a part of the local recreational boxing club. And that summer would prove to be a breakout year for the better boxers. Needless to say, I was considered one of the better boxers.

Well, of course I wasn't able to compete because of my illness, but my higher-ranking slot as a "better boxer" had to be filled. So it was filled with a not-so-better fighter. Long story short, all the fighters received a boxing jacket because of their participation.

Having that boxing jacket was like winning an Olympic medal, and the glory, status and perks you receive from the world.

As I go through my daily routines in life, and interject through conversations that I am a Toastmaster, I seem to always receive a sense of awe. So, because of this response and feeling, I will always be involved with Toastmasters, because to me, I finally got my jacket.

Phillip Silas