Featured Post

Labor of Love Open House

A Labor of Love Afterburners Open House Meeting on August 30, 2016, was a grand success!  In fact, we earned a Golden Gavel ribbon f...

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Why Am I (Still) a Toastmaster?

Tammy Bailey
Many of you have heard me talk about my boyfriend Russ and his family. They live on a farm in Weatherford, and almost every weekend he goes out there. If I'm not otherwise occupied, sometimes I'll investigate the idea of going along, so I'll ask, "What are you doing at the farm today?" Inevitably, his answer is, "Oh, I don't know, but there's always SOMETHING to do!"

That's the way it is with Toastmasters. There's always something to do.

Many people join, complete their Competent Communication manual, then split with their ten speeches and a CC designation. But that's just not me. When I joined Toastmasters in 2006, I decided from the outset that if there was a goal, an ultimate "something" that could be achieved, that's what I was going to do, or else I wasn't going to do it at all. I set my sights on achieving the Distinguished Toastmaster designation, and by November 2008, I'd done it. The question in my mind at that time became, "Now what?"

"Now what?" turned out to be easily answered. I was a club officer, so there was no taking my DTM and riding off into the sunset. I had responsibilities to fulfill, and so I continued to come to meetings. After that officer term, I started serving in another capacity, and then another. People were depending on me for leadership, feedback, and assistance, and there was just no way I was going to let them down without a darn good reason.

If you're a club officer, you have leadership responsibilities. If you're on the agenda at a meeting, you have an obligation to prepare for your role to the very best of your ability. If you're not on the agenda for a particular meeting, you have the privilege of applauding and cheering on those who do have opportunities to fill, and in case one of them can't make it, you may get the opportunity to step up and be a leader yourself.

That's the beautiful thing about Toastmasters and why I'm still here after six years and two DTMs: There's always SOMETHING to do!

Tammy Bailey, DTM