Featured Post

Labor of Love Open House

A Labor of Love Afterburners Open House Meeting on August 30, 2016, was a grand success!  In fact, we earned a Golden Gavel ribbon f...

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

How Did I Get to Toastmasters?

Bill Erwin
Why am I a Toastmaster? First I have to tell you how I got here, then I'll explain why I’ve stayed with the club even after it met my needs.

As a kid I moved frequently, so I found ways to keep myself busy without having to socialize. I was tested for Autism at a school in Oklahoma because I rarely talked to other kids. This proved to my teacher I wasn't the "stupid kid" she claimed me to be, and I was soon offered a slot in a higher grade.

However, my social skills were *lower* than those of my peers, and I missed that opportunity to keep myself challenged. I survived high school by inventing the concept "fake it until you make it,"  (someone else named it).  I hardly spoke to anyone, and worked after-school jobs that required minimum people skills.

Fast forward a few different job titles to my current employer, and I can say I had "made it" . . . almost. I still had difficulties speaking in front of groups unless I had worked through 100% of the details, and I couldn't "speak on my feet" at all. That’s why I joined Toastmasters.

During my first speech, my hands shook noticeably, as I told my life story to a group of 30 or so people. It was something I knew about, but I hadn’t put it into words before. This helped me "break the ice."  Performing different roles at the club acclimated me to speaking under new situations. Table Topics started as a short but painful vaccine, but it helped me build immunity to speaking with no preparation.

But you want to know why I'm still a Toastmaster, right? It's simply about the people, and their stories. I watch them become better speakers right before my eyes. My favorite part is watching them become mentors, and seeing them “pay it forward” to the next new member who is wondering...

Why did I come here?

Bill Erwin