Featured Post

Labor of Love Open House

A Labor of Love Afterburners Open House Meeting on August 30, 2016, was a grand success!  In fact, we earned a Golden Gavel ribbon f...

Monday, May 21, 2012

Bill Finds Friends, Fun and Great Speeches at Conference

I was reluctant to attend my first Toastmasters conference. I tried to visualize what it would be like, where I would sit, and imagined myself in the middle of it . . . all by myself.

What I didn't realize, was that there would be friendly, familiar faces at the check-in booth. I didn't consider the sponsored sessions, the awesome stories, and motivational messages I would hear.

I made the mistake of missing out on the Friday night experience, which was unavoidable in my case, due to a calendar impossibly full of obligations.

As I heard about all the fun I missed, I imagined myself smiling widely in the middle of the group, breathing in what must've been a spectacle.

Bill didn't miss ALL the fun!
(Saturday night at Friends at the Forum)
I saw the Friday night photos during the luncheon, and was thankful I hadn't missed this event as I heard Dale Hansen speak.

I believe Toastmasters made me better aware of the subtleties of his hilarious rant . . . the timing, the vocal variety, movement, and the over-the-top style that I yearned to understand and dissect in between my side-stitched laughing.

Now, I can have a greater appreciation for those all-important words I need to watch for whenever I'm prioritizing my calendar . . . "Save the Date!"

Bill Erwin