Featured Post

Labor of Love Open House

A Labor of Love Afterburners Open House Meeting on August 30, 2016, was a grand success!  In fact, we earned a Golden Gavel ribbon f...

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Meet Steven Timmons, VP Education

Ryan Gallagher
In this, the second entry into my semi-annual interview series, our new VP Education, Steven Timmons, found some time in his busy schedule to answer my questions - all for the benefit of our readers. Hopefully y'all will get some insight into what makes him tick. In the meantime, I'm gonna try and make this interview thing happen more frequently than twice a year. Prepare yourself. You could be next.
Steven Timmons

1. What is your favorite book and/or movie and why?


My favorite book is probably Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. It has been sometime since I read it; however, I always remember the surprises as the story progressed and the plot was revealed. I am much more of a movie buff. I have always liked "Urban Cowboy" with John Travolta. Growing up in Mansfield, I really identified with John's character, except the dancing and it is a favorite time in my life.

2. Give a specific example of how Toastmasters has impacted you positively.

I find that I have made a lot of friends and acquaintances that I would not have made otherwise. The ability to speak and use my brain is a big win for me. However, I hope that I have made some friends that I will know for a lifetime.

3. What is the speech that you have given of which are you most proud, and why?

That would have to be my CC Manual Project 6, "Why I could never be Steve Erwin." It was the first time I got through a speech without notes and I felt a real sense of accomplishment when I executed the speech with all the body language and vocal variety I had planned.

4. Out of all the accumulated experiences in your life, what is the single piece of advice you would impart to your kids (if you have them) or your family, and why?

Always maintain your integrity. When others attack you needlessly or unfairly, it is all that you have to know that you have done the right thing. In Boy Scouts, I was always taught to do my best. That was all that anyone could expect of someone else.

5. Has your life gone how you thought it would? Why or why not and what do you think you might have done differently, if anything?

Life has presented me with many adventures I did not foresee. When I was standing outside the airport in the Philippines in the pouring rain, I thought to myself that I might have made a mistake. However, I have held on through the years and I find that the adventures continue to be surprising and enjoyable. I take each situation, try to learn from it what I should and then move on to the next obstacle.

6. Do you have a favorite quote, or a quote-of-the-moment that motivates you? If so, what is it and why do you find it motivating?

That would have to be Act Your Wage! by Dave Ramsey. Through Dave's wisdom, I have regained my life in so many ways. When you try to live outside of your means, you are robbing yourself of your future. When Dave discusses that if you don't have a plan for your money then all of those creditors have a plan for your money, he is really more right then you can ever know. Now I maintain a budget to keep a grasp on my reality. I find that I am more fulfilled than when I would run wild with my credit.

7. Anything else you want to share with Afterburners?

If you take the time to plan to live, you can live your dreams. Without a plan, you are just on a journey. How will you ever know that you have arrived?