Featured Post

Labor of Love Open House

A Labor of Love Afterburners Open House Meeting on August 30, 2016, was a grand success!  In fact, we earned a Golden Gavel ribbon f...

Monday, May 31, 2010

Joyce's Journey to a New World

When the District 25 Spring Conference was first mentioned at one of our Toastmasters meetings, I did not give it much thought. In my mind, I knew that I was not going to attend. Although I really enjoy Toastmasters and look forward to the weekly meetings, I had no intention of getting that deeply involved. After all, I only wanted to learn to quell my fears and become more comfortable speaking in front of strangers.

Fortunately, a couple of weeks before the conference our illustrious president, Pat Quick, mentioned it again. This time it piqued my interest. There was something in her voice that made it sound like this was an event not to be missed. Consequently, I talked to my husband Rodney, who is also a Toastmaster, and we agreed it would be a good thing to do. 

After deciding to attend this conference, I had such a difficult time registering that I almost decided not to go.  However, I have never been one to give up easily, so I persevered, and we attended.  Going to this event was a wise decision because it opened my eyes to a whole new Toastmaster world. Everyone was nice from the beginning to the end.  

When the festivities began on Friday night, Gary Chiu, our masterful Sergeant at Arms, represented Afterburners well. He marched in with not one, but two, Afterburners banners filled with ribbons.  Shortly after, the area governors and their teams presented us with hilarious skits.

The night ended with the Tall Tales competition. I was in awe as I sat and listened to several far-out tales and wondered how one’s imagination could be so great to come up with such outrageous stories. I was fascinated as I heard about the clown-eating bull and captivated as I journeyed with the Georgia Peach as she tried to find her way home. There were several wild stories told that night, but only three people could win. However, in my opinion, they were all winners. It took courage, preparation and a big imagination to stand before their Toastmaster peers and present those stories.

The next day was packed full of interesting educational sessions to attend. These sessions offered education, inspiration and infused a little motivation into everyone who attended them.  I was very inspired after hearing LaShunda Rundles' story of faith and endurance. This young lady won the International Speaking competition in 2008 but was plagued by life-threatening illnesses shortly after. She could have given up, but she chose to fight. She looked past her condition and circumstances and focused on facing her obstacles rather than surrendering.

Ms. Rundles was one of several people who offered inspiration that day. That same theme emanated throughout the speeches presented in the International Speech contest that afternoon. Evaluating to motivate others and learning to live my life to its fullest potential also served as nourishment for my soul that day.

The evening culminated with a lovely dinner, good fellowship and a Distinguished Toastmaster Ceremony. I received much more than money could ever pay for that weekend. I witnessed genuine love, respect and friendship among the attendees. After seeing all of that, learning how to become a better public speaker is just icing on the cake. Attending the conference was a weekend well spent.

Joyce King